Saturday, February 18, 2012

Doings Around the Farm






Went to the Bread Beckers today to stock up on grain and supplies, and bought some grains to experiment with in feeding my goats.  I have been thinking about feeding my own grain mixture and reading up a bit on it, and decided to just go for it.  I feed myself whole grains because the nutritional benefits are so amazing, so why not my animals too?

Using several different recipes I found online as a guideline, I mixed up a batch of grains to start slowly incorporating into my goat's daily feed.  I used hard red wheat, barley, oat groats, black oil sunflower seeds, and a bit of flax seed.  The goaties seemed to love it--gobbled it right down!

><><><><



In other news, I finally finished building my milking stanchion yesterday!  It turned out great.  Well, I suppose some could critique my building skills (which are not very much developed yet, I am sad to say), but I am proud of myself for doing as well as I did. ;)  I used the free instructions over at Fias Co Farm.  You can find them here.  If you do download these instructions, consider making a donation to Fias Co Farm as a "thank you" for all the great free goat keeping information they supply!

Here are some pictures of my finished project:




"Any food left in here?"


 Little Hana is doing great.  She is learning how to jump up on things now, and I keep looking out and catching her dancing around her pen, jumping up on the porch of the goat house, etc.  So cute!  

You can see Hana in the background--she was resting from all of her fun jumping around!

 She has such lovely markings over her eyes.  Buttercream has the same markings, but they are hard to see because they are dark cream on light cream. 



Irma is looking closer and closer.  Her little udder is tighter today, but her ligaments are still pretty hard.  I am HOPING she goes this week, because I am off of work and will be home to help out if need be.  Please Irma?



Her udder is lookin' good!

And lastly, Davis built a little deck out from the duplex house for the dogs and goats to play on.  Desmond really likes it. ;)


Have a great weekend!




Bessie

No comments: