Friday, June 3, 2011

I Can Can!

Today was a very exciting day, as Davis and I learned how to do something we've been wanting to do for a long time: 

We learned how to can!

Me with our crushed tomatoes!

I signed up for the canning class (held by a local extension office) several weeks ago.  At the time, my husband was going to be out of town this weekend, so I didn't sign him up.  Well, his plans changed last-minute, and thankfully there just happened to be one extra spot in the class for him today!  I'm so glad there was--it was a really neat thing to do together, and he has been chomping at the bit just as much as I have to learn how to can.

In the class we learned all about boiling water canners and pressure canners, and what you can and can't can in each, and how to make sure that your canned food is safe to eat and not full of harmful bacteria.  We canned some crushed tomatoes, and made strawberry jam (probably my favorite part).  We also began making a really yummy (and really spicy) hot pepper relish, but did not have time to actually can it.  It was bottled up, and is sitting in our refrigerator waiting to be enjoyed. 

I can't wait to try out some recipes in our own kitchen with the fresh produce from our garden.  What a satisfying feeling.  Self-sufficiency is wonderful. :)

<><><><><><><><>

So!  Tomorrow is the big day!  I will announce the winners of the pattern giveaway tomorrow morning at 10:00 am  EST.  Be sure to check in! 
Thank you all so much for participating.  I am very excited about the giveaway, and about the re-opening of Cozy Green House Artworks on Etsy.  

Oh, by the way, I have dozens and dozens more patterns on their way to be listed.  I'm in the picture-taking, piece counting, listing writing phase right now, but should have more up this coming week.  I will also be starting a June Summer Skirt Special at the shop starting next weekend (June 10, 2011).  There will be a special section in the shop full of lovely summer skirt patterns--all for $2.99 each!  

Well, I must off and tickle a few ivories.  Have a lovely afternoon and a peaceful weekend!

~Bessie


No comments: