Friday, August 13, 2010

Truitt

Picked up my new little buddy today!  I took one look at him and knew that he was definitely not a Harvey.  He was a Truitt.


Isn't he beautiful?

Truitt is a lot like Dean was when I first brought him home--slightly skittish, and not sure what to think about all of the children and puppies and kitties at the Barger homestead.  I brought him home in a crate, and he did not want to come out when we arrived.  I opened the crate to try and coax him to the door, and before I knew it he had bolted out of the crate and was running around the yard, "baaa-ing"!  I had let Dean out to welcome him, and I could tell that Dean was a little exasperated.  I'm pretty sure he was thinking, "Geez--kids these days."   After all, Dean is six months old and quite grown up and wise in the ways of the world. 

It took awhile, but Dean and I finally managed to get Truitt into the pen.  We tried bribing him with some feed, calling him, dancing for him (well, Dean did), and even chasing him before eventually placing a bowl of feed inside the pen and waiting very nonchalantly inside. Truitt stood outside the pen and stared at us for the longest time, but eventually curiosity got the best of him and he wandered through the gate.  That must have been nearly thirty minutes after he had bolted out of his crate.  Silly goat.  


Dean and Truitt have been getting along very well, except for the fact that Truitt seems to think Dean is a lady goat.  This has been a bit frustrating for Dean, and I had to separate them for a little while this afternoon just to give Dean a break.  I'm sure Truitt will figure things out soon, and then they will be the best of buddies.


Even though he has a new friend, Dean still misses Jerry and stands by the gate a lot.  This will pass, I am sure.  It's good to experience your grief.  Maybe he'll write some good songs about it. ;)

~Bess  

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear about Jerry, we will miss him as well. Truitt will add his own personality to the mix and will be a blessing. Take care.


A. G. & Becky