Sunday, August 2, 2009

Music, Old Movies, Books, etc.


I have not posted about sewing lately because I have not been very inspired to sew. I have a few projects begun, but I simply cannot muster up the will to work on them. Alas, that is how art is.

What have I been doing with my spare time, then? Working on music, reading Atlas Shrugged and watching old movies.

The music is coming along very well. The girls and I are going to perform three songs at the concert next week. I had originally planned to do five, but as we did not have any already learnt I felt that three would be wiser. ;) Atlas Shrugged is coming along well. I began reading it so that I could enter the Atlas Shrugged Essay Contest (google it!). It has been an interesting read so far.

So! Old movie time. I watched a movie called "Pygmalion" (1938) the other night. The movie is based on a play by George Bernard Shaw and stars Leslie Howard and Wendy Hiller. What a great movie!

Don't you love this art-deco poster?


"Pygmalion" is the predecessor of the 1964 musical "My Fair Lady", and is almost exactly the same, minus the musical numbers. Leslie Howard played a splendid Henry Higgins (I thought he was better than Rex Harrison), and Wendy Hiller was simply amazing in the role of Eliza Doolittle. As I watched the movie, I kept thinking that I had seen Wendy Hiller in something else. I realized about half-way through the movie that I had seen her about a bazillion times as a crotchety old lady (Mrs. Harris) in one of my favorite movies, "Anne Of Green Gables: The Sequel". Well whadda ya know? :)

Wendy Hiller as Eliza Doolittle


Wendy Hiller as Mrs. Harris

What did I like about "Pygmalion"? Well, the fact that I didn't have to listen to Mr. Doolitle sing "Get me to the church on time" for two hours was relieving. I also liked Mrs. Higgins character better than in the musical version. She had a slightly bigger part, and was a little more warm and motherly. The acting was all-around great. The kid who played Freddie was delightfully gooberish and swoony. Overall a pleasure to watch. Highly recommended.

Oh my goodness, it is so very late! Yikes. I ought to leave it at that for tonight (or this morning).

G'night,
Bess <><


I had to add this because it is such a cool poster. :)

No comments: