Wednesday, June 3, 2009

A Dress For Sylvie

So, I've been in and out of town and busy preparing for piano recitals and haven't had much time to sew!  However I sat down with my sister Sylvie (8)  Sunday to begin making up her very own vintage dress.  Sylvie picked out the fabric and the pattern herself, and is even helping with the construction!   Here is the fabric she chose from reproductionfabrics.com (find it here): 



And the pattern:  *ARGH!  The pattern pic won't upload!  Well, it's Simplicity 1217, a cute little sundress from the 50's. *

I am going out of town again next week, and I'm hoping to complete the dress before I leave!  

><><><><><

Changing the subject, I had a movie disappointment today.  One of my all-time favorite movies is Born Yesterday, starring Judy Holiday and William Holden.  Oh, what a great movie!!!  I could watch it a million times and never get tired of it.   

Judy Holiday plays the dumb-blond, ex-showgirl fiance of a rough and wealthy criminal ("junk salesman") who is visiting Washington D.C. on shady business.  Her fiance decides that she needs to smarten up a bit, so that she doesn't embarrass him in front of the high-class people he's trying to take advantage of.   He hires an intelligent young journalist named Paul (William Holden) to show her the ropes and polish up her rough edges.  Under Paul's patient guidance and instruction Billie blossoms into quite an independent thinker and begins to question the "work" that her fiance is involved in, in which she has played a significant part over the years.  In the midst of all the book learning, new ideas and heart changes, romance starts to bud between student and teacher.  Billie begins to figure out what she really wants, and it is definitely not (as she previously thought)  three mink coats.   Judy Holiday won an Oscar for her brilliant acting in this movie.  

Anyway, the other day I was looking around on Amazon and saw that there was a modern remake of the movie, starring Melanie Griffith and Don Johnson.  It was only about $3.99, the reviews were mostly satisfactory and I was very curious to see if Melanie Griffith could pull off Billie Dawn so I bought the DVD.  

Melanie Griffith definitely can not pull off Billie Dawn.  It was almost painful to watch!  On top of that, Don Johnson's haircut was so dweebie that I simply could not finish the movie.  I know, I know, it is petty of me.  But I kept comparing him to Bill Holden (be still, my beating heart)  in my mind and it just wasn't working for me.  

Perhaps in a week or so I'll try watching it again.  I really should watch it all the way through at least once.  It's only fair. 

1 comment:

Darla: Retro Ways said...

I adore that fabric, thanks for sharing the link! Cant wait to see the finished dress.


♥Darla