So here it is! The dress I have been contemplating and planning and yearning to sew for the past couple of months is finally finished. I am very happy with the result.
My little brother Eli took saw me in my dress yesterday and said, "Bessie, I didn't know you had a Chinese dress!" So cute.
The original idea was inspired by this amazing Alexander Henry fabric (which is on sale right now!):
And this fabulous Boden shift dress:
I used this old McCall's pattern from the 60's (#5744, view B) as the base for my creation. The raglan sleeve design worked perfectly with the yoke style dress I wished to make. At the top of the bodice I made four pleats. I also added pockets. I really think that every dress should have at least one pocket, preferably two. ;)
I am working on a self-fabric belt to wear with this dress.
I am so so so happy with how the "Chinese Dress" turned out! It is the most comfortable dress I have ever worn. I'm going to make one in every color. ;)