Yesterday I made the first of two awesome new hay feeders using nothing but an old nylon feed sack and baling twine (and a sewing machine)! I am so excited. First, let me give credit where credit is due. I used this awesome tutorial from Utterly Blessed. What a brill idea.
My feed sacks. Yes, that is chicken poop on the porch. I can't figure out how to keep the darn chickens off of my porch to save my life, as even with the gate closed they just squeeze through the bars. Fellow chicken owners--have any suggestions?
For the sake of being humble, here is what my front porch looks like right now. I know. It's bad. Lol.
Aside from not having a well-functioning sewing machine at the moment and having to struggle a bit with that, this feeder went together fast and super easily.
The boys seem to approve of it...
Oh, and while I'm at it, here are some pictures of those mineral feeders I made. :) A little recent background: apparently I should have applied PVC primer to the pipes before glueing them together. The consequence to not taking this step was that the bottom portion fell off of both feeders and my lovely Golden Blend minerals were spilt all over the ground. Then Rousseau decided to chew one bottom piece up a little bit, just for fun. (GR.) So I re-glued them, applying primer first this time, hence the purple you see around the rim of the bottom section.
Ok, on with the pictures!
This is the one that Rousseau chewed up. It wouldn't fit on very well after that, but it seems to be firmly attached.
And of course the one in the girl's side of the pen is perfectly clean and un-chewed. :) Love my girls.
You put the minerals in here...
To install, I simply attached the feeder to a piece of 2x4 and then screwed that onto each goat house.
Ok, that's all for now folks. Have a lovely fall day!