Thursday, June 21, 2012

Chickens...Ugh.


I have decided that I do not like chickens very much right now.  I have a feeling that this sentiment has a lot to do with the fact that they are inside my house.

Reasons why I do not like chickens:

1.  They STINK.  (I'm sure this has a lot to do with the fact that they are inside a small brooding box.)  My whole house smells like chicken poop.

2.  They are constantly messing up their food and water.  CONSTANTLY.  I have to change it several times a day because they insist upon kicking shavings into it and pooping in it.  When I give them fresh food and water they act like they are starving birds and annihilate it.  Well, chickens, if you would quit pooping in your food and water you would not get to the point of starvation!

3. They are very very loud.  They chirp constantly.  I have to keep my bedroom door shut at night so that I can get to sleep over their annoying, incessant peeping.  It was cute at first, but it is cute no longer.


I am just not an inside animal person, I guess. ;)  You know what really blows my mind?  Some people actually keep their chickens as indoor pets!  On purpose!!  I read an article in Mary Jane's Farm (one of my favorite magazines) once all about that.  Apparently Mary Jane herself keeps a pet chicken.  She even had a pattern at the back of the magazine for a chicken diaper.  

No stinkin' way I'm going to change a diaper on a chicken. 

Anyway, this is just a venting post.  I'm sure I will love the chickens eventually.  We are just going through a rough patch right now.

On a happier note, my other hollyhocks have started blooming and they are BRIGHT PINK!



Oh, and my first zinnia has bloomed as well.  :)  I love zinnias. 



That's all for now folks. Gotta go clean the brooding box. 

~Bessie


4 comments:

Unknown said...

Yes, you will love the chickens one day. One day when they are basted, fried, roasted, and have lain all there eggs, you will love them.

I'm sure they'll be better once you've booted 'em outside and they start eating the bugs and poopin' all over the field/coop.

A.J.A. said...

They are annoying in the house (we just went through that a few months ago). Watch out for when they start to try to fly and flap around :) Luckily, they get big fast and will be out soon. And once they are out and turning ticks and other pesky critters into the most delicious eggs ever, you will like them again!

Rebecca said...

Chickens that are noisy,smelly,and poopy... Sounds about right to me lol. for the food and water, just find a way of raising the bowls off the ground by an inch or two and it should help with the amount of poop falling into the food.Hve fun! :)

Bessie M. said...

A.J.A.--yes, that is what I keep telling myself. They will eat ticks and give us fresh eggs. They will eat ticks and give us fresh eggs. Lol.

Rebecca--That is what I mom recommended as well. We have placed the feeders on a wooden block, and it seems to be helping a little, but somehow they still get wood chips in it! Ah well. :D