Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Someday that baby will come...

But when?!

Buttercream doesn't seem to know either.  Or maybe she does, and she is just stringing me along. Apparently that is quite common...

Lately she has been spending a lot of time with her front feet elevated on this rock.  They say this is a common practice as the pregnancy progresses--the kid(s) are probably putting pressure on an uncomfortable area, and the doe is trying to alleviate the pain/discomfort.

Look at that huge tummy! Her butt looks funny because I shaved it.  Yes, I shaved her butt.  It is common practice in the world of goat keeping--helps you to be able to see any developments easily, and when labor comes, keeps her from getting yucky goo all over her fur.

This was right after the butt-cut, hence the hair all over the floor. 

Her udder keeps getting bigger and bigger!  It is filled out even more since I took this picture a couple days ago.

The other day I though Buttercream had gone into labor.  So I gathered up my kidding supplies and waiting outside with her--to no avail!  This is a picture of my kidding kit.  Paper towels, colostrum supplement (just in case), warm water, soap, raisins (to give the momma after she kids), baby goat sweaters, plastic gloves, naval clamps, iodine tincture, scissors, and a few other things that I can't think of right now because it is morning and I am not fully awake. ;)

These are the baby goat sweaters that I made out of the sleeves of an old sweater.  I'm not sure how many kids Buttercream will have, but I made two just in case.  In the winter it is good to have these on hand to prevent babies from getting chilled.

So Buttercream is still holding!  I do think she was bred before I got her, which means she was bred to Dean's father, Gumby.   If that is the case, then the date of the breeding was probably around the beginning of September.  Goats have a 150 day gestation period, so that means she could go anytime over the next week or so.  Ah!

Little miss Irma is looking pretty preggers lately too!  Her udder has gotten a lot bigger.  Maybe she conceived the first time I put her with Dean?  I'm such a newbie at this.

Thanks for your comments on my 1920's post!  I love 20's fashion, too.  It is interesting to me how, while trying to be more masculine in appearance, the clothing was still very soft and girly.  One thing I have noticed is that a lot of dress patterns from the 90's emulate the same straight-waisted designs that are found in 20's fashion.  This spring I am going to use a few 90's patterns as bases for some 20's inspired designs and see what happens!

Have a lovely day,
Bessie


1 comment:

Betsy Nickel Photography said...

Hi Bessie,

I just found your site and I was wondering if you could tell me a little more about the goat sweaters you made from sleeves? How far down from the neck hole did you measure to make the leg holes? How big of a cut did you make for the leg holes? What a brilliant idea! :)
I'm not sure if I'll get your response from this site, so if you could email me at: pink7254@yahoo.com that would be great! Thank you!
Betsy