Saturday, October 1, 2011

Garments

There are three things on my to-do list today:

1. Do dishes
2. Put away clothes
3. Organize pantry

I have gotten as far as number two.  Well, actually, I think I have done the opposite of number two.  I started going through my closet, pulling out summer dresses to put up in the attic for winter, when I noticed several garments I had either finished and never posted about, bought and never posted about, or had *almost* finished and never followed up on here at the blog.  So I decided to take some pictures and share them with you.  This entailed disemboweling my closet and piling the contents on my bed, so I suppose you could say that I have taken a step backwards in my daily cleaning.  Oh well. :D

Please forgive the quality of the pictures--I had to use Photo Booth because my resident photographer is not in today.  :(  Alas!


Wedding Jacket
This is the jacket I made to go over my wedding gown.  I used a pattern from the 1940's.  The jacket is made of copper-colored velveteen and lined with a taupe satin.  The hem is finished with taupe lace.  My sister Sarah gave me the buttons as a gift several years ago--they are lovely antique German glass, white with lacy gold etching around the edges.






The best Goodwill find EVER
I bought this 1950's Carol Craig dress for $5 at a local Goodwill!!!  Is that amazing or what?  The dress is in fantastic shape, and just happens to fit me perfectly.  I love the front detail and the ruched waist.  I wish I had a party to wear this to... 






The Virginia Mayo dress
This is a dress that has been sitting in the back of my closet for over a year waiting to be completed.  It needs hemming, cuffs, and also taking-in at the waist (I guess I've lost a little weight since the first fitting...).  This dress was inspired by a costume worn by Virginia Mayo in "The Secret Life of Walter Mitty" (a great old Danny Kaye movie).  You can see the inspiration here.  See all of those buttons?  Every single one of those buttonholes are bound.  Yep.  Took me FOR-EV-ER!



The Corduroy Coat
Gosh, I love this coat.  Why haven't I finished it yet?  
It is made of a bright red corduroy, and lined with some Amy Butler fabric (can't remember which line).  Double-breasted, hand-worked buttonholes, and a cute sewn-in belt that buttons in the back.   Pattern from the mid-1950's.  All it needs is the sleeve lining.  I really should finish it so that I can wear it this year...





The one thing I don't like about this coat is the largeness of the armholes.  It makes for some difficult move-age, if you know what I mean. :)

So there you have it.  Hold me accountable to getting some of these finished!

Hope you have a lovely weekend!
Bessie

No comments: