Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Sarah's Dress


I found it!  I finally found my camera!  And just in the nick of time, too--Sarah's dress is on its way to being finished and delivered to the bride-to-be.

Sarah and I went through hundreds of patterns to get an idea of what she wanted.  We came up with a sketch for a sun dress with a sweetheart neckline, a bit of a scoop neck in the back, and a simple A-line skirt.  During the fitting process, we decided to tweak our design a little bit by adding a midriff section (with some piping for definition) and putting some fine gathers underneath the bust instead if darts.

I used the bodice from this pattern as the foundation for my design:


Sarah selected a beautiful Michael Miller cotton print for her dress called Meadowstreet Poppy Parade.  So pretty!  There is some left over, which I am planning to make a skirt out of for myself! :D

Here is a picture with bad lighting but a good idea of how the dress will look on (skirt has not yet been attached here):


And here is a picture with good lighting, but the dress on a hanger (much truer to the colors of the fabric):


I am currently working on the lining.  After that, I'll install the zipper, hem the dress, and all shall be finished!

Btw, check out what Davis and I found a thrift store the other day...


What do you think of THAT?

~Bessie

2 comments:

Hope said...

Bess,

I love the dress!

Bessie M. said...

Thanks, Hope! :D