Sunday, October 3, 2010

Man-shirts and time



Although I haven't posted much sewing-related lately, I have been sewing here and there over the past couple weeks.  I've been working on two projects: Jennifer's shirt dress and my first man-shirt (man-shirt = a shirt for a man).

The shirt dress has been muslined (let's just make up new words now, Bessie), fit, cut out, and is ready to stitch together.  The man-shirt is finished as of this afternoon.  Hooray for finished projects!  I would share pictures of the man-shirt, but it is a gift for a friend and I don't want him to see it just yet. :)  I will say that it turned out very nicely--in fact, I like it so much that I might have to sew a girl version for myself!  I'll post some pictures once the gift has been given.

Here is a picture of the pattern I used:

Vintage 1958 McCalls Men's Shirt Pattern 4866
The long-sleeved version, for fall.

<><><><><>

The topic at church today was time.  Funny, I have been thinking a lot about time lately--about how little we have, and how much of it we squander.  I say we, but I really mean me.  I have been running around like a chicken with its head cut off lately, definitely not managing my schedule or redeeming my time well.  The result is stress, illness, confusion, and ultimately lethargy.  Not good.  

I like the acronym our pastor used in his teaching:  

Treasure -We need to realize what a priceless treasure our time is, and how fragile our lives are.
Invest -Time cannot be saved--it can only be spent and invested.  How am I investing my time?
Manage -It takes self-discipline, but managing our time correctly will bring peace and productivity to our lives.
Enjoy -Time is also meant to be enjoyed.  I need to make sure I have margin time in my life!

I don't want to waste a minute being so stressed out and busy that I cannot enjoy and fully experience the time that I have.  I think the secret is cultivating a lifestyle of simplicity, which entails learning how to say "no" sometimes.  I have been bad about that lately--saying yes too much and filling my days to the max.  Lord, teach me to be wise with my time, and to use it to Your glory. 

"The days of our lives are seventy years; and if by reason of strength they are eighty years, yet their boast is only labor and sorrow; for it is soon cut off, and we fly away......So teach us to number our days, that we may gain a heart of wisdom."  Psalm 90:10,12

"See then that you walk circumspectly, not as fools but as wise, redeeming the time..." Ephesians 5:15

~Bessie




1 comment:

andreak said...

Sounds like a pretty good sermon. It is amazing how much time we can spend on meaningless things. Thanks for the reminder this morning.