Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Pillows and Paintings

I have re-claimed our pottery room as my temporary art/sewing studio, and have thus been able to paint for the first time in months.  It is very inspiring to actually have space to work!  I also finally put together a couple of pillows I have been meaning to make since the beginning of the year.

My younger brother Eli (age 6), quite the artist himself, was very excited about my new art room and asked if he could come down and paint with me.  How could I refuse?  This turned into quite a painting day, as John, Sylvie, and Esme all wanted to paint too!

Above is a still life I began last week.  I'm pleased so-far.  Ah, so good to be painting again! :)


Here are Eli and John's paintings:


An abstract by Eli (which, he informs me, is not yet complete)

Three trees by Eli (he loves to paint trees like this).  This was painted on top of one of my old canvases.


A flower garden with a river running through it, by John (age 4)


The Pillows!
I used this wonderful Alexander Henry fabric (which apparently is no longer available) called Del Hi Pom Pom Sun, and applied colorful vintage zippers for insertion.  The second pillow case sports vintage pom-pom trim as well. :)  I am in love.  I am also itching to sew more pillows...

(this is just an empty case--I need another pillow to go inside of it.)



Lastly, this is a pretty top I'm working on.  It's a copy of a top I own and really love.  So far, so good! Some of the lace used in the below picture was purchased by my grandfather in Japan during WWII. :D


That's all for now!

~Bess

No comments: