Wednesday, October 3, 2012

The Maternity Coat: Muslin #2

*Sorry about the shoddy lighting and photography. ;) *

I spent most of my morning yesterday making up a second muslin of my maternity coat design.  Really loving how it has turned out, with only a few exceptions.


First exception: The shoulders are too wide.  I need to take about an inch or so off of the shoulder edge.  See how low the sleeve hangs?  Speaking of the sleeve, I am also going to widen it so that it doesn't taper quite so much to the wrist.  Right now it fits my arm a little too perfectly to be comfortable as a coat sleeve.



I haven't put in the second sleeve because I am going to experiment with shortening the shoulder on this side and see what happens. ;)  



The back neck has two pleats.  They look pulled in this photo, but that is just because my dress form has funkily-shaped shoulders and a super wide neck.  The back fits me perfectly--I am not going to make any changes there.  



I decided to do a collar with a separate collar stand.  However I think my collar stand is too tall.  I might hack off about a half-an-inch or so. 



I have basted the seam allowance around the edges, though it is hard to see.  I will also be taking the collar in a little at the front edges.



So there you have it!  I am pleased thus far.  :)  I asked my husband what he thought about it and he said it looked like "One of those old fashioned dresses."  Aha--exactly what I was going for!  My design is very Regency-era inspired.  

 Once I make a few final tweaks to the pattern I will be ready to cut into my wonderful dusty rose twill and get started!


Have a lovely day,
Bessie

3 comments:

A.J.A. said...

It looks great! What a lovely design. I like this fabric. Are you planning on finishing this as a wearable muslin?

Bessie M. said...

Hey A.J.A.! Thank you! I like the fabric too--very old-fashioned. It suits the look of the coat well. ;) I am not planning on keeping it as a wearable, though--too impatient to make the real thing, lol. ;)

Bessie M. said...
This comment has been removed by the author.