*Sorry about the shoddy lighting and photography. ;) *
I spent most of my morning yesterday making up a second muslin of my maternity coat design. Really loving how it has turned out, with only a few exceptions.
First exception: The shoulders are too wide. I need to take about an inch or so off of the shoulder edge. See how low the sleeve hangs? Speaking of the sleeve, I am also going to widen it so that it doesn't taper quite so much to the wrist. Right now it fits my arm a little too perfectly to be comfortable as a coat sleeve.
I haven't put in the second sleeve because I am going to experiment with shortening the shoulder on this side and see what happens. ;)
The back neck has two pleats. They look pulled in this photo, but that is just because my dress form has funkily-shaped shoulders and a super wide neck. The back fits me perfectly--I am not going to make any changes there.
I decided to do a collar with a separate collar stand. However I think my collar stand is too tall. I might hack off about a half-an-inch or so.
I have basted the seam allowance around the edges, though it is hard to see. I will also be taking the collar in a little at the front edges.
So there you have it! I am pleased thus far. :) I asked my husband what he thought about it and he said it looked like "One of those old fashioned dresses." Aha--exactly what I was going for! My design is very Regency-era inspired.
Once I make a few final tweaks to the pattern I will be ready to cut into my wonderful dusty rose twill and get started!
Have a lovely day,